Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thrifty Tip Tuesday!

Today's tip is not endorsed by the teenages of America. If you are a teenager, you will probably not agree with me, and will potentially laugh in my face when you read the following information. But for the older and wiser out there, this could be helpful. And when I'm done, we'll see who really is the wiser one. Please laugh, I'm not being serious. I'm being sarcastic. As usual.



Thrifty Tip of the Week - The IPod Knockoff



Ok, I know that almost every teenager in the world today owns an IPod. I mean, who wouldn't? It's technology, baby! Music in the smallest and most compact form ever known to man. Remembering back to when I was a teenager (long, long ago), I had a record player and an enormous Sony Walkman. Can you imagine having to carry that cumbersome thing around? Today's youth are so spoiled fortunate. And of course, you need the Apple Ipod, right? Because that is the quintessential MP3. The only one of its kind, right? Wrong. Being the cheap wise and thrifty person that I am, I am always mindful of the fact that there is something cheaper. There always is. Now, I am not advocating that you should never buy name brand things. Because when it comes to quality, usually you do get what you pay for. Take the KitchenAid stand mixer, for instance. Do you need to buy the KitchenAid brand. Absolutely, 100% without a doubt. Do you need to buy Starbucks beans as opposed to the store brand. No question about it. But we all buy the store brand can of tomatoes, don't we? Yes, because we know it's the exact same thing, just cheaper! And I have learned from my dear husband that you can't always buy the cheaper one, as they are sometimes not made with the same quality or materials. But, do you need to buy the Ipod? First of all, let's get something straight. All MP3 players are not Ipods. All Ipods are MP3 players, though. So when I say Ipod, I am referring to the Apple brand. There are other brands out there. Dave bought me a Sansa Fuze for my birthday last year. Sansa has a whole line of MP3 players, from the very basic, all the way up to the top of the line. The model I have is comparable to the Ipod Nano. Same features, same screen, same quality of sound, same warranty. Same price tag: Nope! About half the price. Yes, half. And for someone like me, who just wants to download some sermons off of Grace to You, put some tunes on it, and listen to it while ironing, exercising, and hooked up to the car radio, it is just great. I have been really happy with my little Sansa. And with the same warranty, why would I need to spend more? Just so I can say I have an Ipod? I'm past the age where people won't think I'm cool if I don't have an Ipod. In fact, whose the smarter one now? I spent half the money and got the same thing!

No comments: