Thursday, February 28, 2008

A CHF Day...

Today, the boys and I went with our friends the Killians, down to the CHF offices down in Sylmar. CHF stands for Children's Hunger Fund, and they are a Christian organization dedicated to serving our local communities and countries all over the world by providing boxes of food and other necessities to needy children. They have many volunteer opportunities, one of them being the packing of the actual food products for the individual boxes that get distributed. So for two hours this morning, we all filled individual bags with a mix of pastas. The large bags of pasta needed to be dumped into large trash cans. The boxes needed to be collapsed for recycling. The bags each needed to be filled with 2 1/2 scoops of pasta and sealed. The bags needed to be placed in large packing boxes to be used later to pack individual boxes of food for those in need. The individual boxes will then be distributed all over the community and the world!

The boys worked so hard, and I am so proud of them. They had so much fun working to help others in need. They realized that what they were doing was valuable eternally and not just physically. Each person that receives a box of food from CHF will not only be fed physically but spiritually. They will receive a message inside of the hope that is found in Christ alone. They will see their need for forgiveness and salvation-not just physical help for their bodies, but spiritual healing for their souls.

We plan to visit CHF every month from now on. I have been praying for an oppotunity like this for a long time. For an opportunity to demonstrate to my children the compassion and concern for others that Christ demonstrated in His own life and ministry on earth. And to live out the heart of the Christian faith, which is loving others. We serve the Lord himself when we show compassion to his creation.

Matthew 25:34-40

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments: