Dave and I always joke about this holiday. It's one of those "commercial" holidays that gets completely blown out of proportion, and all to celebrate something we should be celebrating all year long anyways. How is it that people think they should express some greater form of love for others on this day alone? I love my husband every day of the year, and hopefully I show that to him regularly.
God tells us that the first two greatest commandments are to LOVE God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and the second is to LOVE our neighbor as ourself. What I don't understand is that a husband and wife can treat each other like dirt 364 days out of the year, but on Valentines' Day, well, all is forgiven. God commands me to love, and even though I fail at times to demonstrate perfect love towards others, it should be my ruling passion.
So today, it is my prayer to repent of any selfish pride that stands in the way of me loving each person in my life the way God desires me to. And to demonstrate God's perfect love to those who have no hope.
Today we are going to a Valentine Party at the park with our homeschool group, where the boys will exchange Valentines and enjoy some special treats. Tonight, I have planned a special dinner of pot roast, mashed potatoes, baked apples, and Angel food cake topped with berries and cream for dessert.
Happy Valentines day to my sweet family that I thank God for constantly. It is such an overwhelming blessing and joy for me to have my wonderful husband, constant companion, and friend by my side each day. I am so thankful to have children, and three of them to boot. They are my joy and my life, and my identity is found in being a wife to Dave and a mother to Austin, Luke, and Vance, my little Valentine sweeties!
No comments:
Post a Comment