Friday, February 22, 2008

Wonderfully stuffed....

Well it is the morning after fish tacos, and boy is my tummy happy. Especially since I just finished eating Karen's wonderful sour cream pancakes. YUM!!!!


The tacos were phenomenal! It was so easy, in fact, everything was done beforehand, and while we were waiting for them to arrive, I was just sitting around! That's my kind of entertaining. So if you want an easy, plan ahead meal to serve some guests that will wow them to no end (which I don't get, because it really is so simple to make), then try this. I had all the ingredients chopped and in bowls, and the fish was fried up and keeping warm in a low temp oven:


Baja Fish Tacos:

4-6 tilapia or other mild white fish fillets, cut into 4 pieces each

batter for fish:
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

Mix together wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients to make a thin batter. Heat about an inch of olive oil in a pan (or use a deep fryer), and dip the fish into the batter. Fry pieces for about a minute on each side or until golden brown. Keep warm wrapped in foil in a low temp oven.

Taco ingredients:

-corn tortillas (warmed)
-fried fish fillets
-shredded cabbage (green, red, or a mixture of the two)
-queso fresco, crumbled
-chopped cilantro
-chipotle creme (1 1/2 cups sour cream mixed with 1 tbsp minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
-some fresh homemade salsa (recipe to follow)
-lime wedges

YUM, YUM! I also served some homemade refried beans and fresh guacamole. It couldn't have been any better than that!

Here's the salsa recipe. I got it from my dad and it is superb. I am always asked for the recipe when I serve it.

Fresh Salsa with Chipotle Peppers:

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 red or white onion, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, minced
3 tbsp vinegar
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (more if you want it spicy)
1/2 cup water
2 limes, juiced
1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp each cumin, oregano, and thyme
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients except chipotle and salt in a large bowl, and chill for an hour. Add chipotles and salt, and chill for several more hours.

BUENO!!!

No comments: