Friday, February 2, 2007

The Joy of Having a Father

I have to say, I continue to be Daddy's little girl. I will forever be his "Munchkin". My Dad is very special to me for many reasons. I can remember so many fun things we did together, just me and Dad.


When I was a little girl, I loved it when my Dad would swim with me. It was such a treat when he got in the pool, because he would give me "Shamu rides". I'm sure he remembers that fondly!


Dad would often take me away on vacations alone. He took me to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Washington D.C. We had so much fun eating lobster, shopping, and sight-seeing. My Dad always encouraged me to try new foods and activities. I am also thankful that he instilled in me a love for other cultures, as well as an interest in the historical things in our own country. He always told me to try things once, and if you don't like it, you don't have to do it again. But if you don't try, you might be missing something wonderful. I find myself encouraging my own children in the same way. Had I not tried things such as Grandma's chopped liver, all kinds of sushi, and many other delicacies, I would not have known how wonderful they are! I am also more adventurous thanks to him.


My Dad was always a "hip" Dad while I was growing up. My friends thought it was cool that he listened to everything from classical music to New Age "Deep Breakfast," and "Guns N Roses". He just loved the guitarist, Slash (or Flash, as he called him). Dad took me to classical music performances, Phantom of the Opera, baseball, and basketball games. On one occasion at a Lakers Game, Whoopi Goldberg, who was standing in line in front of me told me that I had a special dad who really loved me (she said that because we were in the very expensive and elite section of the Forum!) It was my Dad who actually helped me to understand that baseball players actually get paid for what they do! As a kid, I just thought they did it for fun!


My Dad taught me how to do lots of things, like ride a bike, drive radio controlled cars, clean and take apart crabs to eat, and much more. While my Dad did work a lot while I was growing up, he made a sincere effort to make sure he always spent time with me. And when we did, it was quality time.


Today, my Dad is still very thoughtful, loving, and generous. He makes a conscious effort to maintain a relationship with me and my children. He does a good job of spoiling the kids in my Mom's absence. He has taken two of my children on special trips to Las Vegas, where he took them everywhere fun, such as to Circus Circus Amusement Park, to see magic shows, to the M&M store, and out to eat at many wonderful places. Luke was in heaven when he got to eat chocolate waffles with whipped cream and hot chocolate to go with! Austin's love for magic tricks was amplified after visiting the Mac King kids magic show. And Austin couldn't have had it any better when he got to shoot off his own fireworks while he was there! He just generally loves being with them and enjoys making them happy. I am so thankful that my kids have a grandfather who loves them and cares about them.


I am so thankful for my Dad and the unique character that he has. It is a joy and privilege to have him in my life, and I thank God for him.


No comments: