Tuesday, February 6, 2007

A boy, a bike, and a skid mark- A lesson from a 5 year old

Yesterday, Dave was outside cleaning up his garage after work. I say his garage, because it is simply that. It does not belong to the cars, nor do any of my storage items dare defile it. Nary a Christmas box, box of momentos, not even my washing machine. It is home to the plethora of tools, machinery, chemicals, paints, and any other improvement related items that Dave uses to further his creativity. You see, Dave, as I explained before, is very mechanical, very handy, and very self-sufficient. Those tools, machines, hardware, etc. have been used to make money for our family, to make useful items for our family, and to generally take care of the upkeep of our vehicles and home. So you see, the van stays in the driveway. Which works out just fine. And the dune buggy, three dirt bikes, bicycles, and Dave's other motorcycle live in there with all the tools.

So back to my story. The reason why this all came to mind was because, generally, if Dave is in the garage doing something, the boys tend to wander outside to ride bikes, skateboards, put ladders up to our huge fruitless mulberry, etc. Well, Vance was riding his bike on a sunny 78 degree winter afternoon in California (in shorts and a t-shirt I might add). I happened to be in the garage talking to Dave when I observed that Vance's sole form of entertainment for about a half an hour was riding his bike from two houses down up to our driveway, and then slamming on the brakes to make tire marks on the sidewalk. It was comical. He would stop, examine his current skid mark, and then go at it again, I'm assuming with the intent of increasing the size and/or intensity of his skid marks. This here is a boy for you. I just marvelled in the simplicity of it all, and it makes me smile just thinking about how simple life is for the boys right now. It gave me an opportunity to set aside the complications of life for just a moment and enjoy it throught their eyes. They don't realize how easy they have it right now.

Dave and I are firm believers in the simple, quiet life. We don't need the distractions, extra activities, "things", and experiences that this life has to offer. We don't ever want to run around like chickens with their heads cut off, going here, going there, and then finally plopping down at the end of the day from sheer exhaustion. We can actually take the time to savor being with each other, being with our kids, and serving others. We are so blessed that Dave has a job, that we have the privilege of owning a wonderful, clean, safe home to live in, that our children are healthy and happy, and that we have a church to go to, filled with amazing people that love us and encourage us daily. And, God views us as friends, and has granted to us a salvation from sin that we don't deserve. He chose us to be reconciled to him and be granted eternal life. Why did he choose us over anyone else? We did nothing to merit his favor nor can we earn anything from Him. It is because He is a gracious and merciful God. Everything we receive from him is undeserved. What more could we possibly need? I think we all need to remember that our lives can be simple, but most people just choose to make them complicated. May I encourage you if you are one of those people, to eliminate what you can, to allow the more important things in life to shine through-God, family, friends.


Moses' words to the nation of Israel in Deuteronomy 10:12-13
"What does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
and to keep the LORD'S commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good?"


No comments: