The first time I met Dave's mom, Lorrie, I thought to myself, "she could be his sister"!!!! When Dave and I met at age 19, she was only 38! That's only 4 years older than I am now!!! WEIRD!
Lorrie was born Lorrie Sue Morrison in 1954. She has 4 brothers and 3 sisters, most of which I have met at least once. Some live out of state, and some locally. Her mother, Shirley, Dave's only surviving grandparent, lives in Bakersfield. I don't know all the details of Lorrie's childhood, but I know they moved around a lot. They settled right here in Saugus at one point during her teenage years. In fact, they lived just down the street from where Dave's dad, Edward lived. This happens to be right around the corner from where we live now. Of course, Santa Clarita sure has changed a lot since they lived here! So Dave's parents met in high school, and ended up getting married shortly after they finished. Dave was born shortly after, followed by two more sons, Dewey (age 31), and Timothy (age 27). Dave also has a half brother, Benjy, who is now 19.
Lorrie is now married to Dan, who ironically, also raised three sons. And I have three sons. Lorrie's joke has always been "even my cats are boys"! However, Dave's brother, Tim, just found out that he and his wife, Raquel are expecting a baby girl in March! So Lorrie finally gets to buy some girl stuff. I'm sure she will spoil her rotten. And with something other than jeans, T-shirts, Star Wars stuff, and Hot Wheels! Lots of pink!
Some things you should know about Lorrie are that she loves cats and animals of all kinds, she knows how to sew, makes and decorates beautiful birthday cakes, likes Harrison Ford (or at least used to), loves to throw personal birthday parties for my kids each year, knows EXACTLY what boys like and want, is very thoughtful, remembers every single detail and memory of the past, and never forgets an important date.
Lorrie is a very sweet mom to both Dave and I, and an excellent Grandma Lorrie to the boys. She really makes an effort to maintain a good relationship with her family. Whenever the boys go for a visit, she always takes them to McDonalds, and often has ice cream for them, too. She sends them home with special goodies and treats as well. They love going to her house, because she loves them and makes them feel loved and special. She will often send them sweet letters in the mail just for fun, sometimes with a dollar in them, or something interesting to read or look at. If she goes on a trip, she send them each a postcard! This just shows that she is always thinking of them. I am so thankful that God has blessed us with her! She is unique and special is so many ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment