Life is busy. There are always things to do. But sometimes we have seasons that occur in this home in which it seems we will never have a quiet moment. This is one of those seasons. In fact, I have attempted to post an update on this blog on several occasions, only to have something more important that needs to be done take precidence.
Comparatively speaking, we are not "busy" people, as are some other families. We are not the "go to soccer, to karate, to sheep shearing lessons, to underwater basking weaving, to the grocery store, to pick up Johnny, to drop off Lisa, to stop for dinner, to stop home and drop the groceries off, to pick up the kids, to drop dead from sheer exhaustion, wake up and do it all the next day" people. I cannot live like that. Some days are like that, don't get me wrong. Like today: School, laundry, off to PE at the park, to the dentist for two "complicated" extractions, and then back home. But we have purposefully made the choice to not be running around people, because we enjoy the simplicity of life at it's minimal activity level. After all, there are always things we delight in doing that keep us busy enough, such as Sunday church and Wednesday night youth ministry, along with our homeschool group's activities.
But even so, life is still so busy right now. There is a long list of "to do's" around here, which all seem to be knocking at poor Dave's door all at once. The truck is still saying "Get me to run, please", the flooring in the garage says "Install me", the kitchen cabinets are arguing with the floors, demanding "no, we come first, we WILL be fixed first!", "no, Dave, you must first spend 8 hours a day with me," whines Dave's job, "Daddy, could you fix my bike", "Dave could you fix the leak in the toilet", "Dave, Dave, Dave"! Poor Dave! At one point, it will all calm down, but for now, there is work to be done. It is hard for me to keep a proper perspective when life gets overwhelming. I tend to crave the order that once characterized our home. It's not the way I like it. I am walking on bare dirty concrete, the house does not appear clean or ordered. Visually, it bugs me! I just want everything to be back to normal! But I am learning that in the busyness of life, there is one constant. God is always the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He is always faithful, always merciful, always sovereign. And He wants me to delight in Him, no matter what my circumstances may be. It's nothing deep and theological. God is simply God, and He never changes. It's my stinky attitude that changes, demanding that things go my way. I need to love the road I'm on, not just look for the destination. Enjoy the process of repairing cars and homes, extracting teeth, living in dust, and enjoying the God who gives us these priveleges. They are, indeed priveleges that are bestowed upon us by a gracious God. It is a privelege to be given the means and ability to repair our vehicles and our home. It is a privelege to have dental care. To have an education, and activities by which the children can learn and grow. Thanks be to God for the busyness of our life. Perhaps after Christmas it will all calm down.......
No comments:
Post a Comment