Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fire....Close to Home

For those of you not living in our immediate area, several (around 15) wildfires broke out in Southern California simultaneously on Sunday, creating a state of emergency over 7 counties. It is an incredibly treacherous situation here. Included in these fires is the Agua Dulce Fire, which traveled down into Canyon Country, one of our neighboring communities. Yesterday, it started making its way into Saugus, just about 1 mile from our home. As neighborhoods north of us were being evacuated, it became apparent to us that we must prepare to leave. We figured we should start packing up before it's too late and we are rushed out. Better safe than sorry, I always say. So we hitched up the trailer and began filling it with important documents, boxes of pictures, and other important momentos. The boys thought they should bring everything they own, and began to pack up the sheets on their bed even! (Let's just say we had to do some sorting out)! Being raised here in Southern California, wildfires have always been a threat, but I have never gotten to the point of actually starting to pack things up. We watched the news over the course of yesterday afternoon, and thankfully, the fire began to move away from us and evacuations were being lifted. With the Santa Ana winds, extremely low humidity, and the 90 degree heat, however, we are still in danger of flying embers, which have already started countless other fires in the area. So we are ready if we need to leave, althought it's unlikely at this point.

You know, it is these "big life issues" that I have no trouble with. In the big things, such as the loss of a loved one, the loss of a home, etc, I tend to find my heart calm, trusting in God, patient with the outcome no matter which way it goes. I found myself saying yesterday, "it's just a house". Big things remind me that I cannot control the circumstances of life. I would be in desperation if I thought I could do even the slightest thing to change or alter the events that will occur. To know God is to know He is the one in control. He rules this universe and orders every detail. He allows all things, good and bad, according to His purposes. It's the little things I struggle with. Why did the milk get spilled again? Why is there gum on the pants? Why do I always find dirty clothes on the floor every day? Why can't the boys just sit quietly and do their schoolwork? Why...why...why? But God orders the big things as He does with the small. I struggle with thinking that I can control and order the events of my day. What folly! In my own strength and ability I can do nothing. Then I tend to get the frustrated, impatient, controlling attitude, wondering why things aren't going MY way. I need to be content with how God has planned my day, and not try to plan it on my own. It's OK to have a general plan, but I need to truly be content when that plan goes off track.

With all that said, we are thankful to still be in our home. I am thankful for a husband who takes care of us. I am thankful for my sister who is standing by ready to receive us if we have to leave. I am thankful for the countless firefighters and officials who are tirelessly working on our behalf. God is faithful!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Whew! I have been checking in here for an update. Good to hear things have settled down a bit. We will continue to pray. BTW, I completely agree about the little things being the easier to stumble over. Praise God that He is faithful always, even when we aren't!