Brady, the oldest, was born in 1989, and passed away in January of 2004 of brain cancer. But not before leaving his mark on my children's memories forever. He was a phenomenal kid, to say the least. He was intelligent, inquisitive, and clearly the oldest child. I only know what that means because I now have one of these kinds of kids-Austin. In many ways, Austin is very much like Brady both in character and personality. I remember the exuberance I experienced when my first nephew was born. It was so much joy and fun for me! I was only 17 when he was born, so my experience with children was only limited to what I knew from babysitting. I enjoyed watching him grow. In late 1999, when he was 10, the doctors discovered a tumor in his brain, leading to surgery and an onslaught of treatments. But during this time, although Brady declined physically, he grew spiritually. Through his illness, God led him to his knees and a complete understanding of his sinfulness before God, and his need for repentance and restoration. His growth during this time was not only amazing, but encouraging. He accepted his illness as a gift from God, and used it to glorify Him. He did not complain, have self-pity, or worry about his future. In fact, quite the contrary. Instead of focusing on himself, he focused on others, and would often do whatever he could to play with the boys and give them treats during his illness, even when he wasn't feeling well. So, while his loss is sad for all of us because we miss him tremendously, there is great joy in knowing he is in Heaven and we will see him again someday, because we share the same hope and eternal life which comes as a gift from God through faith in Christ. I have so many wonderful memories of Brady that will continue to live on in my heart. Here is one of the last pics I have of Brady just a few weeks before he passed away, sharing a laugh and a snack with Vance.

My second nephew, Drew, was born two years after Brady. Drew was a happy go lucky baby, toddler, young boy, and now young adult. He is so much fun to be around, and very easy to get along with. He is currently 15 1/2 years old, a Junior in High School (how did that happen?), and is driving. Unbelievable how time flies. I still remember him in diapers wearing the San Diego State shorts I bought him when I was in college. Drew is a total joker, all around funny guy, and has a great sense of humor. His mission in life is to constantly and completely annoy you. But there is another side of Drew, as well. This is the Drew that loves to serve others without complaint, is hard working, thankful, and respectful. He is dedicated to the things he loves. And I know he really loves my boys, although he loves to irritate them as well, just for fun. My boys absolutely adore Drew, and look forward to every chance they get to spend time with him, playing basketball, playing Halo , riding dirt bikes, and generally just hanging out with him. He is their role model. I hope they always share a special relationship with each other. Drew is a really a great kid. I am so encouraged by him. God is doing a mighty work in him, as he grows in a greater knowledge of Him. Here, Drew shares a tender moment with one of my friend, Luci's baby. Isn't that cute????
Two years after Drew came Emma, and up until yesterday, she was my one and only niece. She is such a precious gift to me. I have enjoyed every moment of watching her grow from a darling little cutie pie into a lovely young woman (and too fast, I might add). Emma will be 14 in June, and shares the same birthday as Austin. They are exactly 4 years apart. Emma has always been a joyful and fun girl. I have truly enjoyed being a part of her life. These days, time with Emma means I get my nails polished, makeup done, and we share a few Jennifer Jane laughs. Don't even ask. When Dave goes out of town for business, the boys and I go down to the Harasick Hotel , where I get the privilege of sharing a room with Emma, staying up until all hours of the night snacking, talking, watching Food TV, and laughing. How fun it is to have a niece! Emma is very unique and special to me in so many ways. I can't even begin to list them. One great thing about Emma is that she inherited Karen and my love for food. So cooking and eating can always be had when she is around. She is very smart, as well, and I know someday she will use all of her God-given talents and abilities to make a wonderful wife and mother. Mostly because I think she has had a great teacher (my sis)! Emma loves being with her friends, going to church, and trying new things (but she has to be convinced) She loves riding in our dune buggy, that's for sure. I am working on getting her on the XR 80! What more can I say except that it has been a blessing and privilege to have watched her grow all these years. I look forward to all that is in store for her in the future as well, as she grows into the woman God created her to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment