Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Sister, My Best Friend

This blog wouldn't be complete unless I posted about one of the best gifts God has given me-my sister, Karen. And just so you know right off the bat, she is my older sister. Seven years older, to be exact. Growing up, since there was quite a gap in age between us, we didn't always have much in common. She found pleasure is torturing me by locking me in the closet (although the door wasn't really locked, so she says), deceiving me into thinking those yucky Halloween candies were good, and generally just doing what older sisters do best. When she was a teenager, I'm sure I was just a bother (I was only 8 or so), so she would just keep me out of her room altogether. It wasn't until after I got married, that the gap began to close. I was, afterall, beginning to experience the same things as her, and there seemed to be more in common. When I became a Christian in 1996, we then had much more in common than simply being earthly sisters. We became sisters in Christ, with a common faith, hope, and trust in a gracious and merciful God. What joy to know that once death separates us in this world, that we will have the immense joy and privilege to be reunited in Heaven!

Over the years, she has become my best friend, someone who understands me, someone whom I can trust, open up to and be honest, and someone with whom I can share life's joys and trials. She has never failed to be a help and support to me in every instance of my life. She continues to be the best example to me of a Godly wife and mother. She has faithfully prayed for me, lead me, and encouraged me in my relationship with the Lord. I have learned so much from her over the years about everything from practical living (cooking, cleaning, organization, etc.), to how to love and honor my husband, and how to sacrificially love my children. I can't imagine where I would be without her faithful and loving example.

Some things that I admire about Karen is that she in an amazing cook, gardener, candle maker, and homemaker in general. She pretty much does everything she tries with excellence, to the glory of God, and for the benefit of her family. She is selfless, patient, and kind with everyone she meets. If she sees a need, she will meet it, and even goes above and beyond just meeting a need. Most of all, she loves the Lord her God with all of her heart, soul, mind, and strength. This shows in how she loves and cares for others.

Some of the things we enjoy doing together as sisters are cooking and baking, which includes sharing and trying new recipes and ingredients. We are forever E-mailing each other recipes we have tried or think each other should try! I guess we are the "E-sisters" as Rich would say. We also love trying new restaurants and eating together. We both love all kinds of food, and it shows (on our hips!!!) We also donate blood together at the City of Hope regularly. We usually make a day out of it by going out for a meal and stopping to shop a bit! Shopping, hanging out together at her pool, and going on camping trips together with our families are other things we enjoy together. We are also involved in ministry together at our church, serving in the Juniors Ministry (4th-6th graders).

Words cannot describe what a tremendous blessing she is to me on this earth. We have gone through so much together. I know that whatever trials God allows in our lives, He has blessed us with the ability to experience these things together, and not alone. He is so faithful! I know the relationship we share is very unique and uncommon. You don't see it much in this world. We get along so well, generally hardly ever argue about anything (which is strange because we are both such pop-offs!), and just really enjoy spending life together. We can always be found together, in most cases. It is our dream to even be neighbors someday, like Lucy and Ethel, having our morning coffee together (another thing we both enjoy). We are such very different people, yet like-minded in so many ways. Sometimes I think about what I would ever do if I lost my sister. It would be like losing my right hand. Like I said in the beginning, she is one of God's richest blessings to me on this earth. I am so thankful to have her as a sister. A better sister and friend nobody can find. I love her with all of my heart.

Proverbs 17:17
"A friend loves at all times"

2 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the e-wife, Karen said...

Suzanne,

What an honor to be included in your blog. I wondered, as I read it, if you had another sister I didn't know about! Truly I did not feel that I was the person you were describing... but I humbly thank you for viewing me that way. My only response is to praise God for the special bond we share. I thank Him daily for the gift you are to me, and the grace that He has bestowed on me in the relationship we share. You are are all the same things to me and more...I love you.

K

P.S. I’ll be getting even with you on my blog soon!