Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A trip to the Aquarium of the Pacific-An amazing reminder...

Genesis 1:20-21
Then God said, "Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens."
God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every
winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

This past Monday, our homeschool group took a trip to the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. What an amazing place! Now, I can't figure out for the life of me how, after visiting a place such as this, that anyone cannot believe in a Creator. Now, after seeing a bazillion (that's my word for a number unimaginable!) different varieties of sea life- different sizes, shapes, colors, and functions, I find the thought of them all coming from a
single cell unfathomable. It just doesn't make any sense to not believe that this world and everything in it comes from Intelligent Design or something much smarter and more powerful than us.



This reminds me of how I came to faith in the Creator of the World. I knew that if I believed there was a God who created the Universe (which I think I believed from the beginning), then I knew that I must believe everything about Him, which is contained in the only book that reveals who He is, the Bible. Herein lies every truth about this amazing Creator. And not only is He a creator, He is a redeemer of fallen man. At this point, I knew I had to believe the entire Bible, and not just parts of it. This is where my faith began, and God is continuing to perfect that faith each day.

So back to the Aquarium...the boys could have spent an entire day just dipping their sleeves in the "wet petting zoo" as I call it! The large pools were filled with sting rays (stingers removed, thankfully), baby sharks, and tropical fish. The boys could pet them as they swam by. They also immensely enjoyed the Lorikeet Habitat. For $2, you can buy a little cup of nectar. The birds, which resemble small parrots, will literally land on your arms and shoulders, and drink out of your cup. I tell you what, that was $4 well spent. What an amazing experience! The boys loved it. Austin and Vance had wet sleeves from the pools they had been reaching in, and the birds were content to just hang out on their arms and suck on the wet sleeves! What fun! We then perused several galleries, which featured jellies, sharks, anemones, sea horses, crabs, otters, sea lions, and a bazillion (there's that word again) varities of freshwater and tropical fish. Stripes, flourescent, fat, skinny, spiny, soft, & plantlike describe the amazing diversity in which God made them. You know, God could have just made them all gray and ugly (which some are), but He showed His amazing power and love towards us that He would make them beautiful and interesting for us to enjoy (and eat, I might add-YUM!) All in all it was a wonderful day. I sign off with this...

Psalm 24:1-2

"The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains,
The world, and those who dwell in it.
For He has founded it upon the seas
And established it upon the rivers."

No comments: