Today I thought I would just describe what our family as a whole is all about. Our daily routine, activities, hobbies, etc.
Our weekdays are all about work for Dave and school for the rest of us. Dave works great hours. He is home by 3:40pm most days, unless he has a deadline to meet or a project that needs to ship out to its destination. His job is very interesting! More about Dave and his job and talents later, though. His great hours give us a lot of freedom to shop, run errands, work on household projects and chores, such as mowing the lawn, etc. before dinnertime. I try to be completely done with all my duties and responsibilities by the time Dave arrives home. Likewise, I like the boys to be done with all their schoolwork and other chores as well.
Our school usually starts at 9:00am (roughly), and we usually begin with math. The boys do a lot of work on their own. Dave just recently made me a "schoolroom" equipped with built in countertops with a workspace for each of us. That has been such a blessing, as we can all be together in the same room, and I can be at the computer and available for the boys when they need me. I work with Vance and his kindergarten materials for about 30 minutes to 1 hour each day, and then he goes off to play. Luke usually finishes up by lunchtime. Austin has the most work, and will finish anywhere from 2:00pm-3:30pm. After they finish schoolwork, they practice AWANA verses and have quiet reading time.
Speaking of AWANA, we have been participating in the AWANA program at Grace Community Church, since Austin was three. Each boy has gone through two years of Cubbies, and then they moved on to Sparks for three years. Vance is in Kindergarten Sparks, Luke is in 2nd grade Sparks, and Austin is in his second year of Truth and Training. Dave and I have served as 2nd grade AWANA leaders for about 4 years. The AWANA program has been such a blessing to our family, and the boys look forward to going every Wednesday night to hear a message from the Bible, recite memorized verses, and play game time in the gym.
Our Church is our life! I have been attending Grace Church since 1996 when I became a Christian. Dave became a believer in 1999. Over the years, we have attended Cornerstone Fellowship group, served in the nursery caring for little ones, and we are now plugged into the Juniors Ministry. This is the class for 4th-6th graders to attend on Sunday mornings. This has been both a privilege and blessing to serve alongside so many wonderful and amazing Christians. We plan on serving here for quite a while. Austin just started in Juniors last fall, and even got to go to his first Juniors Camp last December. I also went as a leader. It was such a blast. And we have learned so much over the years being under the pulpit ministry of John MacArthur, an incredibly gifted Bible teacher.
We also have belonged to a Bible Study for many years now, held at the home of Todd and Diane Brooks, some great friends of ours. Recently, the original study of about 13 couples has dissolved. A few of us couples are sticking around and the study has combined with a college Bible Study consisting of Masters' College Students. We will see what the Lord has in store for us through this group.
OK, as for interests, we love motorcycles. Dave has always been passionate for the two-wheeled, whether it be bicycles, street bikes, or dirt bikes. Dave bought his first motorcycle when we were still dating, and has owned one ever since. He currently has a Ducati 900 ss, which he uses to commute the entire 6 miles to work (such a long ride). I really enjoy going out with him on date nights (as long as it is warm enough...I am ALWAYS cold)! He even bought me my very own pink helmet and jacket to wear, so I am safe and stylish at the same time! We used to ride dirt bikes together out in the desert before the kids were born. Then we sold them after Austin was born, thinking it would be quite a while before we would get back on them again. Well, sure enough, it came time to get our kids out there, and we bought them all a Honda 50 to learn on. Well, even with training wheels on it, Luke was the only one who really had an interest in riding (for Dave, that's all we needed was one son to ride with Dad and share his passion)! Little by little we have added more recreational vehicles, so we can all have fun in the dirt. We have a two seater dune buggy, a man-sized dirt bike for Dave (YZ400), and our newest addition as of last night, a Honda XR80 (for me-and anyone else who wants to use it)! We have also entered the world of camping, which happens to go nicely with the dirt bike riding. We bought a used pop-up trailer last summer, and have really enjoyed the three trips we have used it on so far. Our first trip was to Yosemite last summer, and that was the granddaddy of inaugurations into the camping world, I must say. That was a spectacular trip. We hiked the mist trail (all 5 of us), biked, hiked, and swam. I will include a picture from that trip. We also went to Big Bear in September with our friends, the Von Stowvers. That was a great time as well. The boys really love fishing, but the only fish caught was a tiny little two-incher that Austin reeled in!! Our last trip was to California City with the Harasicks and Tubbs to ride dirt bikes. I think that was such a blast. The kids rode and rode and rode. The only time we saw them was when the can of cheese sauce was opened! We plan to continue those types of trips in the future. We will be going to Yosemite again this summer, as well as to Big Bear again, although this time right on the water with full hookups!!! Thanks Harasicks!!!!
The other interests our family enjoys are biking and hiking at Vasquez Rocks, or anywhere we can. The boys have recently taken an interest to building car models like Dave used to make when he was a kid. That will probably prove to be an ongoing interest. As for any hint of a feminine type activity in this household....well cooking and baking is probably my favorite thing to do! I do know how to knit!!!! But, I have to say, I really enjoy getting on the dirt bike and hitting the trail with the rest of them. I'm no tom-boy by any means, I just love to be relaxed and have fun with the boys!!! More to come....
Our weekdays are all about work for Dave and school for the rest of us. Dave works great hours. He is home by 3:40pm most days, unless he has a deadline to meet or a project that needs to ship out to its destination. His job is very interesting! More about Dave and his job and talents later, though. His great hours give us a lot of freedom to shop, run errands, work on household projects and chores, such as mowing the lawn, etc. before dinnertime. I try to be completely done with all my duties and responsibilities by the time Dave arrives home. Likewise, I like the boys to be done with all their schoolwork and other chores as well.
Our school usually starts at 9:00am (roughly), and we usually begin with math. The boys do a lot of work on their own. Dave just recently made me a "schoolroom" equipped with built in countertops with a workspace for each of us. That has been such a blessing, as we can all be together in the same room, and I can be at the computer and available for the boys when they need me. I work with Vance and his kindergarten materials for about 30 minutes to 1 hour each day, and then he goes off to play. Luke usually finishes up by lunchtime. Austin has the most work, and will finish anywhere from 2:00pm-3:30pm. After they finish schoolwork, they practice AWANA verses and have quiet reading time.
Speaking of AWANA, we have been participating in the AWANA program at Grace Community Church, since Austin was three. Each boy has gone through two years of Cubbies, and then they moved on to Sparks for three years. Vance is in Kindergarten Sparks, Luke is in 2nd grade Sparks, and Austin is in his second year of Truth and Training. Dave and I have served as 2nd grade AWANA leaders for about 4 years. The AWANA program has been such a blessing to our family, and the boys look forward to going every Wednesday night to hear a message from the Bible, recite memorized verses, and play game time in the gym.
Our Church is our life! I have been attending Grace Church since 1996 when I became a Christian. Dave became a believer in 1999. Over the years, we have attended Cornerstone Fellowship group, served in the nursery caring for little ones, and we are now plugged into the Juniors Ministry. This is the class for 4th-6th graders to attend on Sunday mornings. This has been both a privilege and blessing to serve alongside so many wonderful and amazing Christians. We plan on serving here for quite a while. Austin just started in Juniors last fall, and even got to go to his first Juniors Camp last December. I also went as a leader. It was such a blast. And we have learned so much over the years being under the pulpit ministry of John MacArthur, an incredibly gifted Bible teacher.
We also have belonged to a Bible Study for many years now, held at the home of Todd and Diane Brooks, some great friends of ours. Recently, the original study of about 13 couples has dissolved. A few of us couples are sticking around and the study has combined with a college Bible Study consisting of Masters' College Students. We will see what the Lord has in store for us through this group.
OK, as for interests, we love motorcycles. Dave has always been passionate for the two-wheeled, whether it be bicycles, street bikes, or dirt bikes. Dave bought his first motorcycle when we were still dating, and has owned one ever since. He currently has a Ducati 900 ss, which he uses to commute the entire 6 miles to work (such a long ride). I really enjoy going out with him on date nights (as long as it is warm enough...I am ALWAYS cold)! He even bought me my very own pink helmet and jacket to wear, so I am safe and stylish at the same time! We used to ride dirt bikes together out in the desert before the kids were born. Then we sold them after Austin was born, thinking it would be quite a while before we would get back on them again. Well, sure enough, it came time to get our kids out there, and we bought them all a Honda 50 to learn on. Well, even with training wheels on it, Luke was the only one who really had an interest in riding (for Dave, that's all we needed was one son to ride with Dad and share his passion)! Little by little we have added more recreational vehicles, so we can all have fun in the dirt. We have a two seater dune buggy, a man-sized dirt bike for Dave (YZ400), and our newest addition as of last night, a Honda XR80 (for me-and anyone else who wants to use it)! We have also entered the world of camping, which happens to go nicely with the dirt bike riding. We bought a used pop-up trailer last summer, and have really enjoyed the three trips we have used it on so far. Our first trip was to Yosemite last summer, and that was the granddaddy of inaugurations into the camping world, I must say. That was a spectacular trip. We hiked the mist trail (all 5 of us), biked, hiked, and swam. I will include a picture from that trip. We also went to Big Bear in September with our friends, the Von Stowvers. That was a great time as well. The boys really love fishing, but the only fish caught was a tiny little two-incher that Austin reeled in!! Our last trip was to California City with the Harasicks and Tubbs to ride dirt bikes. I think that was such a blast. The kids rode and rode and rode. The only time we saw them was when the can of cheese sauce was opened! We plan to continue those types of trips in the future. We will be going to Yosemite again this summer, as well as to Big Bear again, although this time right on the water with full hookups!!! Thanks Harasicks!!!!
The other interests our family enjoys are biking and hiking at Vasquez Rocks, or anywhere we can. The boys have recently taken an interest to building car models like Dave used to make when he was a kid. That will probably prove to be an ongoing interest. As for any hint of a feminine type activity in this household....well cooking and baking is probably my favorite thing to do! I do know how to knit!!!! But, I have to say, I really enjoy getting on the dirt bike and hitting the trail with the rest of them. I'm no tom-boy by any means, I just love to be relaxed and have fun with the boys!!! More to come....
1 comment:
hey!
Yeah....this DeShong family is pretty sporty, but Drew and I love to go out to the desert with them. As i was reading on your blog that you got a new 80, Drew was saying "Yeah, and we have 0's!"
Can't wait to go back to the desert!
love,
emma
Post a Comment