Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pumpkin in the Spring....

I know it's not fall, but I was craving a pumpkin baked good of some sort. I found a recipe for pumpkin cake, altered it a bit to make it more healthy, and made it for breakfast this morning. All I can say it YUMMMMMMMMM!!!! And the boys loved it. Sprinkled with a touch of powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream, what could beat that?

Incidentally, I have found that you can substitute applesauce, cup for cup, for any fat (whether it be butter or oil), with no consequence to the flavor or texture. It's just not as greasy. This cake was extremely moist and flavorful, so who needs all the extra calories and fat? Certainly not me. And hey, you get a bit of fiber from the applesauce, too! Next time I will try adding some walnuts and oats.

Here's my take on the recipe:

PUMPKIN CAKE

4 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey (you can use regular sugar instead)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each ground cloves and nutmeg

Mix the wet ingredients, then add in the dry. Spread into greased 9 X 13 and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake, it is good a little underdone!

No comments: