Thursday, September 6, 2007

Back to School

The boys in our school room!


Last week was our first week of school! This marks the 6th year of homeschooling for our family. Austin is now in 5th grade, Luke in 3rd, and Vance in 1st. We have a busy year ahead of us, as we chug along through math, spelling, poetry, language, penmanship, ancient history, life science, typing and reading. We will start the AWANA program at our church mid-September. This is always a highlight for the kids as they get to go to church Wednesday nights for Bible lessons, game time, and snacks with their friends! Dave and I will continue to serve as leaders in 2nd grade Sparks!


The second week of homeschooling marks the first week of "whining". They are always so excited to start, and that wears off REAL QUICK, as they realize that work really isn't all it's cracked up to be. Playing is just much more fun. But it is both my duty and delight to train these boys to be diligent hard workers, so that someday they will be excellent husbands and fathers themselves. Mind you, that is NOT an easy task. Three boys with all their wiggles, joking, distractions, etc.


So here's to days of diligent work for all of us in this family, including myself! I must also pray daily for wisdom, patience, strength, and joy as I begin this new school year. I am fully aware that I cannot do any of it in my own strength. What I can do is rely on God to get me through it! And to get through it ALIVE!!!!
By the way, as a footnote, I am so thankful for my newly designed (well semi-newly designed) school room, complete with built in countertops and workstations for each of us, and organized shelving in the closet. Thanks to my handy husband for making it all possible for us to be organized and comfortable as we school together!

No comments: