Friday, December 9, 2011

Edible Christmas Gift Lineup


Merry Christmas!!!


First of all, I just can't believe Christmas is almost here. The older the boys get, the faster the years go by. This first semester of school has literally flown by, as we have had our busiest year yet. This is our first Christmas back in our house. Last year, we opened presents by the fireplace in our little hotel suite at the Marriott. A little untraditional, yes. But you know what, in some ways we enjoyed the simplicity of it all. I couldn't do my holiday baking and cookie making, we couldn't have a tree, or decorate the house. All that made the season so much less busy!!! But I missed it. My kids missed the annual treats I make that they have come to love, they missed putting their own collections of ornaments on the tree, and we missed our cozy comfortable house. It was so nice to pull out the decorations after not seeing them for two years! We bought our fresh tree last week, and it is fully Christmas around here.

Next week I will begin my annual baking and candy making extravaganza. All my gifts to friends, kids youth group leaders, neighbors, Dave's office coworkers, etc. are homemade food. First of all, it's an inexpensive way to make gifts. Secondly, one batch of each item goes a long way. I just make batch after batch, store them all in the freezer, and then assemble gifts as necessary. I like to use those cute little white Chinese take out containers to give the gifts in. You can buy them in bulk at Smart 'N Final. I wrap the food in tissue and put a bow on the handle. So cute.


So here is my holiday line up this year. Some old favorites, and some attempts at something new!

Toffee - An old favorite I have been making for probably 15 years! I got this recipe from my sister. A hard caramel bottom layer, spread with chocolate and pressed with chopped almonds, then chopped in irregular pieces like a bark. For some reason, this easy recipe really impresses people!



Peppermint Patties -I found this recipe a few years ago, and they are amazing. Just like York, but better! A mint patty dipped in melted dark chocolate.






Bordeaux's - My first attempt to make something like See's famous candy that I love so much...they are maple espresso cremes dipped in chocolate.






Salted Caramels - Another first for this year. Uh, yum.





Cookie Dough Truffles - Balls of cookie dough dipped in melted dark chocolate and embellished with sprinkles or other decorations.


I am planning on posting recipes to follow, and I will keep you posted on how the new recipes work. In the meantime, if you would like any of these recipes to try right now, email me or leave a comment!

2 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...

That's really funny - I'm making Bordeaux too... just bought the ingredients! Where did you get your recipe from?

Grandma Lorrie said...

You are SO lucky that you have such a wonderful and talented husband who can fix just about anything!