Saturday, December 10, 2011

Salted Caramels were a fail.....

Update to my previous post! I just tried this recipe for Salted Caramels for the first time today. I have always wanted to try caramels, and these with the sea salt on top were calling my name. I glanced at the ingredient list, and since it looked pretty simple, I didn't hesitate. Little did I know when I would go to make them today, that it would take about 50 minutes of standing over the pot stirring until it reached the hard ball stage. I just didn't anticipate it taking that long. The thermometer just crept incredibly slowly towards my target temperature, as I was thinking to myself, "Self, these BETTER be good, and worth all this effort!" It was finally time to pour them in the pan and cool them. Later this afternoon, I pulled them out of the fridge to cut them. Thankfully, to make it easier, you line the pan with foil, and all you need to do it pull the whole thing, foil and all, out of the pan, peel off the foil, and cut into nice tidy little rectangles like the picture. Uh-huh. The moment I went to peel off the foil, I knew it was going to be a disaster. The foil stuck, even though I had greased it like the recipe said. I cut them into nice little pieces which looked great until I tried to pick them up off the cutting board. Apparently the heat in my fingers was optimum temperature for melting the caramels, and they became a sticky gooey mess! I salvaged my un-tidy little rectangles, and placed them in layers in a storage container. They do taste good, and I love the addition of the salt. But, definitely NOT worth the effort. This recipe will go into my virtual trash can.

On another note, I also whipped up my no-fail Peppermint Patties recipe. It is one I know will work every year! However, at the very end of mixing the filling in my trusty KitchenAid Artisan mixer, old Trusty gave in! My heart stopped, as I have grown SO dependent on my mixer, use it ALL the time, and really am quite spoiled to even have it. Today was just the beginning of all my holiday baking, and my mixer quit on me!!!!! I really did think it was the end of it. Sweet Dave decided to take it apart for me to see if it was just a part that needed replacing. He came to me with a greasy broken part on a paper towel, and asked if I could find the part online. Sure enough, a little Googling later, Amazon had the exact part for under $14! Yippee!!!! I was ONE happy Mama. I then proceeded to order the part and whip up my cookie dough truffles by hand. Like with a spoon, by hand. Wow, I really am spoiled, and VERY thankful for my mixer.

So onward with the baking!!! Oh, and here's the recipe for the Peppermint Patties:

Creamy Peppermint Patties

1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 tsp peppermint extract
9 cups powdered sugar
semi-sweet chocolate chips
canola oil

Whip the cream cheese and extract with a mixer. Slowly add and mix powdered sugar a little at a time, until it comes together. It will be VERY stiff. Form into 1 inch balls, roll them in your hands to soften, and then flatten into patties. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate several hours or until firm.
Melt about 12 oz. of chocolate chips with 1-2 tablespoons canola oil in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, until smooth and melted. Dip the patties one at a time, and return to cookie sheet. When finished with all of them, return to refrigerator to harden. Store in refrigerator or freezer in ziplocs or airtight containers.

~Enjoy your holiday season!

No comments: