
Now that the holidays are in full swing, I thought I would share this little gem of a recipe. It would be a great addition to any of your holiday meals, and it is super easy.
Austin actually found this recipe. He had the privilege of going to Ruth's Chris while he was in Washington D.C. with my dad, and they had ordered these potatoes. He liked them so much, he wanted to try and make them at home. He has also recently started the tradition of cooking our family dinner every Sunday...it was just something he wanted to do, and I wasn't about to complain! He is a great cook, and also does all the grilling for our family. Yep, I'm one happy Mama! Anyways, he looked up the recipe and gave it a try. We were all drooling when it came out of the oven, all cheesy and crispy around the edges. And it was sooooo delicious. I made them again last night with our tri-tip, and was delighted once again. I doubled the recipe for a 9 X 13, but a single fits nicely in a square baking dish or pie plate. The only substitutions I made were to use 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup half and half, instead of the heavy cream and milk proportions they use. There was no lack of richness or creaminess whatsoever.
Here is the recipe:
4-5 medium russet potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 T flour
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh black pepper
1 T butter softened
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices, then quarter each of those slices. Beat together the cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper by hand just till well combined. Coat the inside of a large baking dish with the softened butter. Arrange the potatoes in the dish and pour the cream mixture over the potatoes. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, uncover and bake another 40 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to brown on the top. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the potatoes are tender.
Enjoy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment