I would be lying if I said the last two weeks weren't a challenge. It seems that when it rains, it pours, but I am thankful in the midst. There is so much to be thankful for.
Dave flew into international waters the day the volcano erupted in Iceland. He has never left the country before. And God knew that would happen before he left. God knew it would take him 4 days longer than expected to arrive at his destination in Kiev, 4 days behind on the installation of Balloon Rabbit, the project he has poured his heart into for the last year. He drove from Paris to Kiev since all airports were shut down, a grounding of airplanes on a scale not seen since 9/11.
God also knew that between the time Dave would leave America and the time he would return, his company would file bankruptcy and close its doors after over 30 years in business. It was a total shock, to say the least. My husband was on the other side of the world, for almost 4 days I did not even know his whereabouts, and then come to find out that his "what seemed to be promising" career was over. At the time I found all this out, I also had no guarantee of Dave returning any time soon. The airspace was still closed, and there was talk that it could take weeks to get all the backlogged flights cleared up and everyone out of all the countries they were stuck in. I am being honest when I say it was very hard for me.
By the grace of God, he was able to get out on a flight only two days after he was orignally scheduled to return. I have never been so happy to see my husband's face as the moment I heard his car pull up and he appeared at our front door at two o'clock in the morning. I almost didn't want to let him go after we embraced.
Facing the beginning of our first week of unemployment, I sat in the sanctuary of our church at the beginning of the Sunday worship service and heard a song that seemed as if the words were written just for me and what I am going through.
Still my soul be still
And do not fear
Though winds of change may rage tomorrow
God is at your side
No longer dread
The fires of unexpected sorrow
God You are my God
And I will trust in You and not be shaken
Lord of peace renew
A steadfast spirit within me
To rest in You alone
Still my soul be still
Do not be moved
By lesser lights and fleeting shadows
Hold onto His ways
With shield of faith
Against temptations flaming arrows
Still my soul be still
Do not forsake
The Truth you learned in the beginning
Wait upon the Lord
And hope will rise
As stars appear when day is dimming
Wow! No longer dread the fires of unexpected sorrows! Do not forsake the Truth I have learned in the beginning. God's word promises me trouble. It promises me hard things, difficulties, and things that are sorrowful in this life. But with God, my soul can be at rest with these difficulties, because God brings these trials to teach me and because of His great love towards me. I have come to a place in my Christian walk where I can say to God: "Bring the trials you see necessary to teach me the things I need to know, and to cleanse me from the sins I am entangled in and don't recognize, especially when things are going good in my life."
You see, I can say these things because God is for me, and not against me. By His grace, He has made me one of His, and promises to keep me forever in His care. So my soul can be still. So I can wait upon Him and what He will do to provide for our family and provide Dave with a new job, whenever that will be. And I will not be shaken. So I will not worry or trust in my own understanding. I can cast my burden upon the Lord, for He cares for me. 1 Peter 5:7. I can be anxious for nothing, but by prayer and supplication let my requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:5-7. All of these riches are mine, and for this reason, I have a heart of thankfulness. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! 2 Corinthians 9:15!
2 comments:
I love your heart!
Really encouraged by God's grace in your lives. You are facing a trial just how God wants believers to be, by trusting in Him. We will be praying!
Post a Comment