This past weekend I had the privilege of helping make and serve food for a memorial service held at one of my dear friend's home. Her Mom recently passed away, and she was hosting about 60 people in her home for the service and dinner. One of the things I made was my family recipe for potato salad. I have been making this for many years, and don't really even know where it originated. All I know is, it is not your supermarket deli's potato salad. It is not vinegary (is that a word), nor pasty. It is chock full of everything but the kitchen sink. I usually just throw in whatever I have in the veggie bin, but I will list the things I usually like to put in. Oh, and a disclaimer:This recipe has an obscene, and I mean obscene amount of mayo.
Best Foods mayo. You cannot use anything else. Don't even bother making it without Best Foods mayo, I am dead serious. It will not taste the same, I promise. What I do promise is that everyone will love it, and it will be the hit wherever you take it. It's one of those things that makes people happy. Potato salad. Yum. So here's how I make it. You can adjust the quantities accordingly. This recipe fills a very large Tupperware Bowl.
Suzanne's Potato Salad
10 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped, plus about 4 more, sliced to garnish the top
4-6 green onions, chopped
3 large dill pickles, chopped
1/3 cup jarred jalapenos, chopped
lots and lots of Best Foods mayo, added until creamy
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne to taste
other nice things to add: chopped radishes, red bell pepper, etc.
Place diced potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil until fork tender and almost falling apart. Drain and cool. While the potatoes are cooking, chop remaining ingredients and set aside. When the potatoes are cooled, place them in a large bowl, and add chopped veggies. Dump in some Best Foods mayo (are you getting the hint?), and begin stirring. Continue to add mayo until it becomes very creamy. Don't be horrified by the amount of mayo you are adding, it's perfectly normal. Add salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Garnish the top with sliced hard boiled eggs. Serve. Find a sandwich so you can add the last teaspoon of Best Foods mayo left in the jar after making the potato salad.
No comments:
Post a Comment