Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Perfect Cheesecake

My husband's favorite dessert: Cheesecake.

Number of failed attempts to make the perfect cheesecake: Innumerable.

Until I found this recipe. This gem of a recipe was found on Recipezaar, the virtues of which I have extoled in the past. I love this website because you can search a recipe by ratings, meaning the highest and best rated recipes will show up at the top. After reading literally hundreds of rave reviews for this cheesecake recipe, I decided to give it a try. I had no idea it would come out this perfect. There is now no need to look any further. This is the one. Forever. If you follow the directions closely, you will end up with the most beautiful, perfectly creamy, perfectly cooked, crackless cheesecake, I promise you. I made this for Dave's birthday yesterday, and he raved about it. And if you know Dave, you know he doesn't rave. He's just not a raver. Is that a word? Anyways, I like to serve this cheesecake with strawberry sauce on top. I also think it would be equally divine with an oreo crust. Next time.

Suzanne's Cheesecake

15 graham crackers, crushed
4 tbsp butter, melted
4 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, soft
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter, and press into a greased springform pan. Set aside. Mix the cream cheese and the sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, then mix in eggs, one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and flour and mix until smooth. Pour over crust. Bake for one hour. TURN OFF OVEN AND LET CAKE COOL IN OVEN WITH THE DOOR CLOSED FOR 5-6 HOURS. Chill before serving.

Strawberry Sauce:

1 lb frozen strawberries
2-3 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch

Mix the first three ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Mix the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water, and add to mixture. Boil for about a minute or until thickened. Let cool, and then refrigerate.



No comments: