Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays

TASTY TUESDAYS!!!
This week's recipe is one I often go to in the wintertime. I just love the winter! Stews, soups, and chilis are so easy, heart warming, and often economical. This soup recipe came from a dear friend of mine, Kelly. It was one of her regular recipes, and once I tried it, I was hooked. I am almost always asked for this recipe when I serve it. It is so ridiculously easy, and you can't mess it up. Even if you don't have all the ingredients, it still comes out amazing every time, even if you leave something out or substitute. Best of all, it can be made with ingredients you probably always keep on hand. Whip up a pot of this soon, and serve it with a nice salad on the side. I like a salad with romaine lettuce, red cabbage, some crumbled cotija cheese, and some pepitas with a cilantro dressing. Mmm......I'll add my salad dressing recipe at the bottom as a bonus!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
15 oz beef broth
15 oz chicken broth (sometimes I use just all beef or all chicken)
2 (29 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (use diced if you like chunks)
4 large chicken breasts, frozen or fresh
1 can corn (opt)
1 can black beans (opt-add in just before serving)
2 tsp worcestershire
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp each chili powder, cumin, and sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup minced jalapenos

Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients (add chicken frozen). Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken, shred with two forks, and return to pot. Simmer 10 minutes more, or until ready to serve. Serve with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, cilantro, and avocado.

Cilantro Dressing

1 cup mayo
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp cilantro
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp each pepper, cayenne, cumin

Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth.





No comments: