Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays Premier Recipe!

TASTY TUESDAYS ARE HERE!!!



My sister has been telling me for some time that I really should feature some of my favorite recipes for you all each week. I really don't think that many people read my blog, so I never really felt the need to post beyond our family chronicles. However, my sister has told me countless stories of how vast the blogging community can be, and how her recipes and tips have been used by friends of friends of friends. People she had no idea were reading her blog. So in the interest of all you people that I may not even know (but would love to!), and for those of you who are stalking me (I know, it's in a good way!), here are some things you may enjoy!

I have been saying this for years, so just make a mental footnote: I do not claim to be a good cook. I absolutely love cooking, baking, trying new recipes, etc. And I strive to always improve as a worker at home in all aspects of my homemaking, especially in the kitchen. In my many years of being a wife and mommy, I have learned how to really follow recipes well. But I do not create, so if you're looking for some Alton Brown type and the science behind the techniques, look elsewhere. We will not be learning about reductions, or how to temper eggs, or the like. Wow, I surprise myself that I even know those words. I actually even know those techniques. But I won't be using such culinary skills here. The recipes I will be featuring on my blog are just my beloved, tried and true, often requested by my children, and enjoyed on a regular basis recipes. Most are not complicated, and can be guaranteed success by any home cook, wife, or mother. So enjoy! Just for fun, I may throw in something new I've learned and mastered, so stay tuned. I just may surprise you (or myself for that matter). But be patient with me, I still have yet to master a double layer cake that is not lopsided. But I make some mean cookies. And beef jerky, too. By the way, don't you just love the old-fashioned picture above. It is my goal to have a smiling and happy husband, and children that look at my brownies with love and delight! Except, who's that little girl? And what happened to my other two boys looking at my brownies with delight? And am I serving them soda with their brownies??? And Dave doesn't usually come home from work in a suit and a hat. Maybe it's not such a good picture after all.

I thought I'd start off with a holiday relevant recipe, and one of my go-to recipes whenever I need to make a pie. I am not really good at pies (ask my niece Emma about my peach pie disaster), but I always hit a home run, especially with my hubby, with this easy apple pie.
You only need a bottom crust, so even if your crust isn't perfect, the apples and the crumb topping will shine in this recipe.

Dutch Apple Pie

You can cheat and use a frozen crust, or you can use this simple recipe:

Butter Pie Crust:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water

Mix flour and salt together. Cut in butter with pastry blender until pea-sized pieces form. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms a ball. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Makes two crusts, but you will only need one for this recipe. Freeze the other for future use. When ready, roll out your crust and place into pie pan. Do this before preparing the filling.

Filling:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup soft butter
6 cups peeled and sliced apples (I use a combo of Fuji and Gala)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Before peeling and slicing apples, combine flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter. Blend until crumbly, and set aside. Now peel and slice the apples, and combine apples with sugar and cinnamon. Pour into pie crust. Sprinkle all of the topping over the apples. Bake for 50 minutes or until apples are tender. Keep an eye on the pie towards the end. You may need to cover with foil to prevent overbrowning the topping.

Happy Thanksgiving! Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good.