Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pumpkin Fun

So if you are a blog hopper like me, you will notice everyone and their mother currently have a blogpost about pumpkin something. Don't you get tired of the countless pumpkin recipes???? Well I don't. "I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it." Anyone know the movie that line came out of? Comment on this post if you do!

It must run in my blood, this love of pumpkin. If you've been reading my sister's blog , you'll see we share a common love of the squishy orange stuff. And we share pumpkin concoctions with one another each year. I just love her new pumpkin bread recipe. I threw out the old recipe after I tried that one.

One of my favorite fall recipes is for a pumpkin cake. It is very versatile. You can dress it up for dessert, or serve it as a humble cold-morning breakfast, embellished with whipped cream or powdered sugar. My kids really love it. And I consider it moderately healthy. Trust me on the inclusion of applesauce. I have praised its virtues in the past, and trust me. It makes your baked goods lower in fat and calories, and very moist.

The simple. The humble. The delicious. The pumpkin cake.
Oh so good for breakfast with a good cup of coffee. I love that Starbucks mug my sister brought me from, you guessed where. Recipe for this cake at the bottom of the post.

And speaking of pumpkin, this year we decided to get the boys their own little pumpkins to carve. This was the way to go! It kept them busy and occupied for quite a while taking out the seeds and carving up their cute little faces. We roasted the seeds, as I remember doing each year as a kid, and each boy got a little container to snack on during school the next morning. So fun!


Oooohh........lit up pumpkin faces!


The boys happily displaying their handiwork!






Take note that each boy is making a face to match their pumpkin's face. Haha...love it!



Pumpkin Cake

4 eggs

1 cup applesauce

1/3 cup honey

1 15 oz can pumpkin

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Combine wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into greased 9 X 13 pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or powdered sugar!



5 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...

You can forget getting me pumpkin at Sam's... TJ's had it today and I cleared the shelf!!! Thanks anyways.

Trina K said...

I believe that movie line is from Bewitched?!?!

I can't wait to try your pumpkin cake recipe...and your sister's pumpkin bread! I have this Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe that we make every year that is yummy (although the name doesn't sound super tasty), but I have been looking for new pumpkin recipes! Thank you for sharing!

Suzanne DeShong said...

Trina, I have that dump cake recipe too....it's AMAZING. And super easy, but it always wows everyone. Mmm.....and I have to say, the movie guess is incorrect ): It doesn't seem like anyone knows it. I'll reveal it in good time...all in good time!

Trina K said...

Okay, so I know the correct answer to the movie trivia and I am ashamed that I guessed incorrectly in the first place. Only thing I can think of is that I must have been having an "off" day! I believe that the correct answer is ... ELF!!! Love that movie... quote it all the time!

Yes the dump cake does wow them and it is super easy!!

Suzanne DeShong said...

Trina, you got it!!!!! If I were having a giveaway, you would have won it. Apparently the other 3 of my blog readers didn't know the answer. Haha!!!