Friday, June 12, 2009

Yosemite 2009

We just got back from our annual trip to Yosemite. This year was a little different than in years past. Since Dave is still fresh on the new job, he could not get any time off. So we sold our site to some friends, whom we also lent our trailer to. My sister generously offered to house the boys and I for a few days in her trailer, so we could still come up and enjoy the trip! Poor Dave had to work, and the boys and I took a road trip in Karen's Jeep up to beautiful Yosemite. It rained most of the weekend, but we still managed to make the most of it! We did our usual hike to Vernal Falls, biked around the valley, viewed all the waterfalls, and let the kids swim in the freezing cold Merced River-until it poured rain on all of us until we were soaking wet. We laughed the whole way to the warm trailer that had a space heater and hot tea awaiting our arrival! That's what I call camping, friends. This year, we did something different and took a day trip out to Tuolomne Meadows (don't ask me how to pronounce that, but it is commonly referred to as "Twa-lum-ee" Meadows. We viewed snow-capped mountains, beautiful lakes, one of the largest meadows in North America, and enjoyed a breathtaking view of the back of Half Dome from Olmstead Point. When we left to go back home, the boys and I enjoyed a few stops that we usually can't do when we pull our trailer. We stopped to watch the absolutely crazy and out of their mind amazing climbers on El Capitan, hiked the short 0.2 mile walk up to the base of Bridalveil Falls, which is one of the beautiful, yet smaller of the amazing waterfalls is Yosemite (Yosemite Falls being the largest waterfall in North America)! We also stopped at the tunnel view, which offers the most amazing view of Yosemite Valley, Half Dome, El Capitan, the Merced River, etc. It is an absolutely mind-boggling, awe-inspiring, God praising experience. I love Yosemite, and never tire of it no matter how many times I have been!
The boys about to see Bridalveil Falls.

The Polar Bear Club braving the freezing water!


Beautiful Bridalveil Falls



The Tunnel View point offers a stunning first look at Yosemite Valley.




Half Dome from Olmstead Point





Walking back to the trailer in the pouring rain after the swim






A lake we visited on our drive to Tuolomne Meadows







Playing in the snow!





About to brave the water!



The boys and I at Olmstead Point




Austin at Olmstead Point with Half Dome behind him












No comments: