Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Importance of Donating Blood

Shortly after my nephew, Brady was diagnosed with brain cancer back in 1999, I began donating blood every 8 weeks at the City of Hope where Brady was being treated. My blood would be directed towards him while he was undergoing chemotherapy, since I matched his blood type. My Mom, my sister, and I would make a "date" out of it, and we would all go have dinner together and then go donate blood. When my Mom passed away, my sister and I continued to go on a regular basis. We always aim to go every 8 weeks, although that doesn't always work out. On the wall in the donation room, they have a chart which states their needed amount of blood donations for the month, and then the amount they have actually received. Let me tell you, they are CONSISTENTLY short of what they need. Apparently, there must be a lack of donors, which then affects the patients there at City of Hope. I try to imagine myself in the recipient's shoes. If I desperately needed a life saving transfusion and there was no blood to receive, how would I feel? As my sister said to someone yesterday, it is such a blessing to be on this side, the healthy one who has the ability to be able to donate. Even if I experience mild side effects and am wiped out for the next 24 hours, that is nothing compared to the people who are receiving my blood. So this is my plug for all of you to consider being a regular blood donor. You will undoubtedly be blessed by the experience every time, and so will the person who will receive your life-giving gift. Man cannot make blood. It is up to people to give it away! And we all have blood, so we are all able. For me, it is such a privilege! I get to go out with my sister, spend lots of time talking, enjoying a great meal together (this time we went to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles-amazing), doing a little shopping...oh, and donating blood! It doesn't seem like a chore, and I never dread doing it. I am immeasurably blessed by it every time! And we love going to City of Hope and being able to give back to the people who did so much for my nephew years ago when he was the patient.

4 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...

Funny...I thought of blogging on the subject, too. But, you said it so well that I won't have to.

I actually look forward to giving blood with you! It's great sister time!

Nancy said...

Hey, I would love to accompany you guys sometime. Maybe I could get in on some babysitting action? :-)

Suzanne DeShong said...

Nancy, we would be glad to welcome you into our "sister" club!!!! You know you just want to go to Chicken and Waffles. Admit it.

Jensen Family said...

Okay, Okay, I am always borderline anemic... So I have always been a little stingy with my blood. After reading your blog... I will be first in line at the Red Cross Donation trailer. That will give me a month to juice up my Hemoglobin and Hematecrit. Love you!!!