Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thrifty Tip Tuesday!

Boy, I am not off to a good start. It's only my second week, and I couldn't get Thrifty Tip Tuesday posted in time for Tuesday! It's been a busy week, so please forgive me for my tardiness. I know my huge group of three readers will forgive me!

Today's tip is another one of my recent discoveries on how to save money on my monthly bills.




Thrifty Tip of the week:

How to save money on your monthly phone bill, and not really change anything!



I had recently been talking to some moms in my home school group about the whole "home phone" thing. Do we really need it, with all the cellphones and such? Come to find out two out of three of the people I was talking with don't even have a land line anymore! These ladies gave me some tips, so I decided to check it out myself. I called the phone company, and sure enough, they do have a basic phone plan, that costs (brace yourself) $7 a month! That's right, just seven bucks a month! Granted, you don't get that lovely and helpful caller ID service or call waiting anymore. But here's the deal. I was paying for something I really never used. I was noticing my bare bones basic phone plan was costing me about $45 per month. So I evaluated my usage. Do I call anyone long distance? No. And when I do, I use my cellphone, since it's free long distance. Do I call anyone out of my local area. Yes, but two out of the three people I call out of the area are on my cell phone carrier, so those calls are free mobile to mobile! And anyways, I am rolling in my rollover minutes, there are so many of them! So I decided to go for it. My last phone bill was $7.15! Here are the details of my plan:

The basic fee is $6.50 per month, I believe. With that, you are allowed around 300 local calls out for free. Every minute past is 2 cents a minute. No long distance allowed. Incoming calls are free, and are not included in your free minutes for the month. 800 numbers and 911 calls are all free, as well. So now if I know I need to make a call that will not be short, I just use my cellphone, so as to be careful not to exceed my outgoing minutes for the month.

So there you go. Go evaluate your phone usage people. For some of you, this may be hidden money in your pocket!!!! Have a great day!

3 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...

This is something I need to look into! By the way, could you change your body type from blue to chocolate brown? It's a bit of an eyesore...

Suzanne DeShong said...

Funny thing is, when I was reading it this morning after I posted it, I was thinking the same thing...but did I do anything??? DUH! So there you go!

the e-wife, Karen said...

Thanks...much better!!!