With my abundance of blueberries, even after giving away more than 2/3 of them, I had the daunting task of finding things to do with these juicy little gems. After all, they are SO good for you, filled with antioxidants and probably lots of other healthy stuff of which I have no knowledge. Anyways (Nacho Libre accent included), I was a bad girl. I did bad things with my blueberries. Instead of being used for the healthy consumption they were intended for, I placed those healthy, juicy, amazing little things in the fellowship of other not so healthy ingredients. If those blueberries could talk, they would have screamed for salvation. It was like placing a saint in the middle of a room of sinners. They just don't mix. But in my opinion, mixing blueberries with sugar, butter, and the like makes an amazing combination, especially when your end result is Blueberry Pie and Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake my friends. Let me preface this by saying, I am NOT a good pie maker. Just ask my niece Emma about the dreaded peach pie incident. I can make a Dutch apple pie, only because it has no top crust. But I just haven't been able to make a good crust for the life of me. It's always underdone, chewy, boring, bland, you name it. But I tried a new recipe for a butter crust that came highly recommended on one of my favorite cooking websites, Recipezaar, so I thought I'd give it a try. Well, it was no Karen Harasick pie crust, but it was actually pretty amazing. I was impressed that I actually made a pie that was not only semi-presentable, but delicious. The berries totally shined, as all I added was a couple tablespoons of sugar and about 3 tablespoons of flour as thickener, and a sprinkle of nutmeg. The blueberries ended up happy in the end, as they were juicy, plump, and delicious. The next day I made Ina Garten's (the Barefoot Contessa) recipe for Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake, and it was the moistest, tenderest (probably not a word) cake. Paired with a cup of coffee, it was perfect for both breakfast and dessert. Just don't do both in the same day (haha). I still had enough berries to make some healthy whole wheat banana blueberry streusel muffins and to pop a handful straight out of the bag about 5 times a day. I am sad to see them go, but what a blessing they were!






1 comment:
heh-heh. You made me laugh with this one! I am going to go exercise now. Just reading about all of those sinful things is making me feel fat :-)
Post a Comment