All I have to say is, I can't believe summer is almost over already! We are taking our last camping trip this weekend to Big Bear, and then we return to start school in a couple of weeks. This summer has been very relaxing and enjoyable. The summer is truly a whole different animal for me. The school year is very demanding since we homeschool. I am up early, I am very diligent with meal planning, exercise, and the like. Summer is wake up when you feel like it, have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and whatever dinner makes its way to the table works for me! And exercise....HA! What's that??? I guess you can see the effects of that on my hips.
We started off the summer with our trip to NY, followed by our trip to Yosemite, which was wonderful. We have had a couple of beach days to Zuma, and also several trips to the Aquatic Center, as well. The boys really enjoy the water. We just spent the day at Magic Mountain recently, which was a highlight.
As for homeschooling, many people ask me what curriculum I use, how I can possibly homeschool not being a professional teacher, and why would I want to do that anyways? After all, most moms are very happy to "get rid" of their kids for the day, especially after a long summer of having them home all day every day.
Well, since I have been homeschooling my kids from the get-go, I really don't have any other school experience, except my own, to base an opinion on. I chose homeschooling for many reasons. The main factor being that I love my kids and can't possibly imagine sending them away all day, every day! Call me selfish. It is not easy by any means, and I am not saying the days aren't long and challenging. But I am being given the opportunity to shape my children's hearts and lives by tailoring their education and environment towards living productive and God-fearing lives. I can immediately deal with every harsh word and every bad attitude, and protect them from the world's evils which I care not for them to participate in. On top of that, we have the freedom to have lunch with Daddy, go on field trips, visit unique places, take unique trips, and be a part of unique life experiences that we would otherwise not be able to do.
So with that said, here are my curriculum choices for this year, in case any of you out in blogdom are interested. A big thanks to my dear friend Nancy (yes, you!) for her much appreciated wisdom and insight she shared with me recently on homeschooling. She let me "pick her brain", and for that I am very thankful!
Math, penmanship, phonics, language, and spelling: A Beka Book
Science: God's Design for Creation, Three book series on life
History: Story of the World, Volume 1
Bible: Bible Study Guide for all Ages, Book 1
Logic and Critical Thinking: Mind Benders book A1 and Building Thinking Skills, level 2
I am really looking forward to starting up our routine again soon, and to reunite with the homeschooling families in Lighthouse, our homeschool group. We have enjoyed a wonderful summer and are thankful for the opportunities we were able to participate in! But for now, Big Bear, here we come!
1 comment:
I am honored to have made an appearance in your blog, :-) I think your plan looks marvelous!
Post a Comment