Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chick Fil A Tortilla Soup Clone

A couple weeks ago, we took a field trip to Chick Fil A. Since I am watching my calories right now, I opted to eat their tortilla soup for lunch. With only 230 calories, I thought it was a wise choice. It was amazingly flavorful and delicious and was really more like a chili, with two kinds of beans in it. That day, I set out to find a recipe that was just like it, but I could not find anything online with similar ingredients. I looked on the Chick Fil A website to see the list of ingredients, and I about lost my lunch. Figuratively speaking that is. The list of chemical additives is attrocious, including MSG and the like. Yuck.

So with a little experimenting (which always scares my children), I came up with a delicious version of my own, with all natural ingredients. I was so happy with the way it turned out, and my boys said "Mom, this one is a keeper!" Mission accomplished.

I did tweak the spices quite a bit, as I like a bit of a bite to it, so you can adjust to suit your taste. And if are willing to be patient, I think this soup is even better the day after. Forgive me, but I did not take a picture.

Chick Fil A Tortilla Soup Clone

1 onion chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

6 cups chicken broth

1 can black beans

1 can corn

1 can cannelini beans or any white bean

shredded rotisserie chicken, or 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

1 small can chopped green chilies

1 lime, juiced

1 tsp each cumin, pepper, chili powder

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp red pepper flakes

Few dashes hot sauce

1 cup sour cream

Cornstarch to thicken if needed

salt to taste


Saute the onions and garlic in a bit of oil, until soft. Add chicken broth and remaining ingredients (except sour cream and cornstarch) to pot. Bring to a boil, and then simmer. Just before serving, stir in the sour cream, and salt to taste. At this point, I mixed some cornstarch with water, and added to the pot to thicken it a bit. You can decide how thick you want it, and can also add more sour cream as a thickener if you wish. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, avocado, and cilantro.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This was delicious Suzanne! I de-spiced it a little for our family full of tame taste buds and we all loved it. I even broke my own rule of not serving new dishes to company Friday afternoon and our guest asked for the recipe. Thanks for sharing!