Saturday, January 21, 2012

L.A. Racing Nascar Experience



Almost a year ago, I purchased a Nascar racing experience for Dave for his birthday on Groupon. Do you use Groupon? I have found some great deals! This one was an amazing price compared to what they normally charge, and I knew it would be right up Dave's alley.

Yesterday, we took the drive out to Irwindale to the Toyota Speedway. What an amazing day! It was such a neat experience not only for Dave, but also for the boys and I! I highly recommend it.

We got there a bit early, so we got to watch the first group of racers that were in the time slot before us. It was good to acclimate to the way they run things, and to see what they do out there on the track. The entire operation is very organized and well thought out.


Here's a happy man at the entrance to the building. Look at the excitement in his face. Ready to race!

Here is a shot of the track from the grandstands. It is a half mile oval.

After you take a half hour class on how the whole thing is set up, what to expect, and how to operate the vehicle, you wait to be called for your turn. They send out four drivers at a time, and you get to drive 20 laps. Here is Dave getting suited up.

Putting on the spiffy jacket.

They communicate to you by one-way radio, and your personal spotter pretty much tells you everything to do, when you are clear to pass, etc. Here is Dave just after getting his earbuds taped down.

Pretty much ready to roll!

They ride you out to the track in this golfcart. I even got to go with him onto the track, so I could get close up pictures of him in the car. So fun!

Climbing in through the window! Since they are real late model Nascar race cars, there are no doors, headlights, etc.

Strapped in, steering wheel attached.....window net about to go in, and we're ready to race! He had such a blast, and it was so fun to watch from the grandstands. Austin timed his laps, Luke took video, and I took stills! Such a manly thing to do, I tell you! What man doesn't love to smell race gas and drive as fast as he wants??? Priceless experience! And a trip to Spaghetti Factory on the way home pretty much topped it off!


1 comment:

Carol Blanchet said...

Isn't it great when you hit upon the PERFECT gift! Very. cool.
Wish we were still in the area - would be great for the men in my home!