It's been more than five weeks since the flood! Little and much progress has been made, both at the same time. That doesn't even make sense, but I haven't been able to make sense of the last five weeks yet either. I am depending upon the Lord for His daily grace to tackle everything that needs to be tackled.
The night before the flood, Dave's dad was rushed by ambulance to the hospital with breathing problems. After a two year battle with lung cancer, he passed about a week and a half ago. It became evident after a couple of weeks into his hospital stay that he was nearing the end, so Dave and his brothers made the decision to put him into hospice at the hospital. Many long days in a row were spent in the hospital, as I watched my husband so faithfully care for his dad day and night in his last days and hours. It was such an encouragement to my heart. We were being yanked in several directions, trying to deal with the necessary things we needed to do to keep the construction going, yet longing to stay at the hospital to care for his dad. God was very gracious, and He sustained us daily when we were weary and sad. He passed away in the presence of his three sons and I. We will miss "Papa Ed" very much. All the details are falling into place for a memorial gathering, which I, unfortunately, am not able to host at this time. My home is not exactly in the condition for a large party (:
With things calming down to the lower level of chaos, we are re-focusing on what needs to be done so we can get back into our house. There are so many decisions to make, our heads are spinning. I never thought about having to make design decisions for every aspect of our home all at once! It is both fun and overwhelming, all at the same time!
The latest development was found in the form of more water damage right as we were about to get flooring put in the kitchen and dining room. The kitchen cabinets sustained some water damage, so we have been in the process of having another estimate put together and submitted to insurance for the kitchen! If I have learned anything, it is that everything you think couldn't possibly take more than a day to resolve will take 2 weeks. Therefore, it has been a great lesson in patience, knowing that even every day that gets drawn out is God's plan for us! It should take another month or so to get everything completed, but I know at the end of all the chaos and destruction is going to be a beautiful new home! We are so thankful and so excited for all the things we are being given the opportunity to do with our home. I am especially excited for the remodel in my master bath....we added a bathtub! SOOOOOOO exciting! We are joking that after being completely uprooted from our home for two months, I may not want to get out of the tub, and we should install an intercom so I can just give instructions to the boys directly from the bath. Sounds perfect to me. I guess we should have installed a bigger hot water heater.
I am trying to document the process as much as possibly with pictures, so stay tuned for some before and afters. I hope to show the dramatic change from complete disaster to beautiful and serene! God is good, and I am working on fixing my eyes on heaven and not the things of the earth!
No comments:
Post a Comment