Well, we're wrapping up summer around the DeShong household as we prepare for busier days ahead with school starting soon. I thought I would just dive head first into my next project- refinishing the oak butcher block counters in my kitchen.
When we first moved in to our house in 2000, the counters were water stained and unhappy. They said "refinish me, please!!!!" So we did. A little sanding and some coats of polyurethane (I love that stuff), and they were restored to all their original grandeur. By the way, I just love my counters. They are durable, easy to clean and look nice against my painted white cabinetry. Well, it's been 8 years since we refinished them, and they have begun to speak to me again. "Please refinish me again, I'm starting to get tired!" Since we put in our hardwood floors, which are darker wood tones, I knew that when we refinished the counters again, I would like to stain them darker. Well, lo and behold we have 2/3 of a can of stain left from the dining room table in which to stain my counters red mahogany, which will be lovely with my table and my floors. Did I mention I love my floors, too? Dave did a most professional and wonderful job on them, and they are just so beautiful indeed. More upkeep, but beautiful!
So we embarked on our countertop project yesterday. The last time we refinished them, it was just a matter of sanding what was left of the old clearcoat off. It was a cinch in a pinch. Not so yesterday. We sanded...and we sanded....and we sanded....until our hands were numb and we could sand no more. We stained. Uh-oh....Some spots didn't take the stain, because apparently we didn't sand enough????!!! Whatever?????!!!!! So back to sanding some more and restaining. This is taking a lot more elbow grease than the dining table did, since the table was a soft wood, and this is oak. But I know the hard work will pay off and they will eventually be beautiful! Pictures to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment