Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Recipe for Stephanie....


OK, so I love to bake. And it seems I am always able to find those absolutely amazing desserts that taste divine, but have no redeeming health qualities whatsoever. In other words, you had better go run a mile after consuming. Or just enjoy your guilt. It's your choice. I came up with this recipe because I wanted something that tasted like my favorite chocolate chip danish from Western Bagel that I love so much. So I thought, "hmmmm, I wonder if I could use my all-purpose homemade crescent roll dough to make my own version?" And since the internet is a wonderful resource, I was able to find a recipe that sounded similar to what I wanted. So I gave it a try a couple weeks ago to serve as dessert after my niece's play. I call this recipe "Chocolate Crescent Twist".

Ohhhhh.......my.............was............it..........divine. Evil. Just evil. And wrong. I truly believe things that taste that good should have no calories, and carrots should have thousands. But that's just my opinion. So on to the recipe: If you have a bread machine, it will make simple of this task. Here is the recipe for the dough (which by the way makes the most amazing crescent rolls.....my family LOVES them...see below for details):

2 1/4 cups flour (bread flour works best)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk, plus enough water to equal 3/4 cup
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp yeast

Easy enough, right? So if you have a bread machine, go ahead and load those ingredients in, and select the basic dough setting. If you don't have a bread machine....well, I don't know. I suppose you could mix it, knead it, and let it rise. Good luck.

After the dough is finished, roll it out into a 12 X 8 rectangle. Combine 3 tbsp flour, 3 tbsp sugar, and 1 tbsp butter in a bowl, and mix until crumbly. Set aside. Sprinkle the dough with 2/3 cup chocolate chips, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, and half of the flour mixture in your bowl. Starting at the long side, roll up the dough (as if you are making cinnamon rolls), and pinch the edges to seal. Join the ends to form and ring, and pinch the edges together to seal. Gently twist the ring to form a figure 8. Place in a greased loaf pan, cover, and let rise for 30-60 minutes, or until the dough has filled up the entire loaf pan, and has risen on top. Brush the top of the entire thing with 1 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp chocolate chips, pressing them gently into the dough. Sprinkle remaining flour mixture on top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and slice to serve. Have some coffee with it, trust me. Then put on your athletic shoes and run until you can't run any more.

If you would like to use the above dough to make crescent rolls, all you need to do is remove the dough from the machine, punch it down, and roll it into a 10 inch round. Brush it with melted butter, and cut into 10 wedges (like a pie). Roll up starting at the wide edge. Place on cookie sheet, brush with more melted butter, and let rise about 30 minutes. Bake them at 375 for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Your family will love you, probably kiss you, and tell you to make these every week until you die. They are truly yummy. My bread machine can hold a 1 1/2 scale batch, but not a double batch. If you make 1 1/2 times the recipe, divide the dough in half and roll out into two circles. It works much better that way. Stephanie, I hope you enjoy making this as much as you enjoyed eating it!

2 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...

I am totally going to ignore this recipe. Seriously.

Suzanne DeShong said...

Haha....I don't blame you. But you know you want it. Don't lie to yourself.