Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Time for muffins...


The DeShong household has been busy. Go, go, go. And did I say go? We have been going from one thing to the next. You know, those weeks where there isn't an evening spent at home for a while. It begins to tax on me, and if you know me well, you know I am a creature of habit. I like to take solace in the familiar, the regular. Call me weird.


This is my first morning and breakfast at home in over a week. We have been taking my father-in-law to all his chemo treatments, which means we have been out of the house by about 7:30 every morning. I know, all you public school families are laughing at me, probably even out loud right now. I am not used to shoving everyone out the door at 7:30!!! NO LIKE IT! IT DOESN'T FEEL YUMMY! Karen will understand that joke.


With all that said, this morning I get to stay home, and guess what? I made a delicious batch of muffins that I think anyone would have a heart attack from....I mean enjoy immensely. I am warning you that the only redeeming ingredient in it is the banana. Although you can easily adapt it to be more healthy. Or not. I do truly believe you shouldn't change certain things. Like the chocolate chip cookie, for instance. Don't put wheat flour in there. NO! Don't eliminate the butter. NO! Don't add flax. Ewwwww.......


Anyways, with all that said, here are the muffins I made for breakfast. They are really yummy warm out of the oven, and do not even need a drop of butter. But you will need a glass of cold milk.....Oh yeah! Did I mention that I didn't even eat these for breakfast? I only had one little bite (do you hear the tiny violins), so that I don't totally negate the exercise I am about to perform. But you should have seen the boys.....can you say gooey????? If you are a chocolate lover, I absolutely wholeheartedly recommend you try these today. Right now. GO....


Double Chocolate Banana Muffins


1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar (I reduced to 3/4 cup)

1/4 cup baking cocoa

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana

1/3 cup oil (I used applesauce)

1 egg

1 cup chocolate chips


Combine first six ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine banana, oil, and egg. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Place in greased or paper lined muffin pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 18-25 minutes or until they test done.

Makes 12 deliciously sinful muffins.


No comments: